The Jacksonville Public Library (JPL) is committed to serving the public by providing materials to meet our customers’ needs. The mission of JPL is to enrich lives, build community, and foster success by bringing people, information, and ideas together. The Interlibrary Loan (ILL) service offers customers access to collections beyond what is held in Jacksonville, allowing customers to request items to be sent to their local library. ILL services are available to anyone holding a Jacksonville Public Library (JPL) card in good standing. ILL is not available to JPL e-Card, Educator or Student card holders. Up to ten (10) ILL requests may be pending or items checked out at one time.
Materials not available through ILL
- Items currently owned by Jacksonville Public Library
- Newly published materials (materials less than one year old)
- Audio-visual material
- Books copyrighted or dated prior to 1920
- Entire issues of periodicals
- Rare books or non-book materials
- E-books or e-documents/articles
The lending library can dictate the conditions under which it will lend materials. Some of the materials may be designated by the lending library as restricted. This means that this material must be used in the library, it cannot leave the building. The Interlibrary Loan Staff will notify the customer that the material is available but restricted to in-library use only. In most cases, the customer can choose which branch he/she prefers for in-house use.
Customers may order photocopies of certain materials not available through ILL, such as magazine articles and reference materials. Photocopying charges may be incurred. Customers wanting photocopies or loans from fee-charging libraries must submit a check or money order made payable to the lending library (it is not payable to JPL) before the loan request can be submitted. If the item is not filled by the lending library, the check or money order will be returned to the customer.
The length of the loan is set by the lending library, not JPL, and will vary accordingly. The due date is noted on each item. If the item can be checked out and is not picked up by the due date listed on the sticker, it will be returned to the lending library. If the item is not picked up within 14 days, of notification (unless a shorter time is indicated by the lending library) it will be returned to the lending library.
Renewal of ILL materials is dependent upon the restrictions set by the lending library. Customers or staff must call the Interlibrary Loan Department to request a renewal three working (Monday-Friday) days before the due date included on the lending label. Customers can also request renewals through the customer interface. Overdue ILL materials cannot be renewed. Interlibrary Loan material can be returned to any Jacksonville Public Library location.
Recall of Material
The lending library may exercise the option to recall material needed by its customers. If the material is recalled before the due date, the customer must, upon notification, return the material immediately.
Any item received via ILL service is subject to the same fees/fines placed on similar items owned by JPL. In addition, libraries which loan material to JPL may place additional fines/fees on loaned items.
The customer is responsible for any damage to and/or loss of the material which results after he/she has picked up the Interlibrary Loan requested material. Customers will not be billed for item(s) noted as damaged prior to their checking out the item(s).
Using Florida Navigator
Jacksonville Public Library uses the Florida Navigator to request loans from Florida libraries and other libraries throughout the United States. To use Navigator you must have a valid Jacksonville Public Library card number and a Personal Identification Number (PIN).
- Search for the item you wish to borrow.
- When you locate the item you want to request, click on the title of the item.
- Click on the “Request Item” button.
- Select Jacksonville Public Library from the list of libraries in the drop down box.
- Enter your Jacksonville Public Library card number and PIN in the spaces provided.
- Fill in additional information in the spaces provided. Providing a current e-mail address allows us to contact you faster. Using the drop down list provided, select the library where you would like to pick up your item(s). Staff at your pick-up location will contact you when the material is available. If the item is not picked up within 14 days, it will be returned to the lending library.
- In the space titled “More information about my request”, submit any additional information you think will help us locate the item and the maximum amount you are willing to pay for your loan or photocopy if there isn’t a free ILL lender available.
- Submit the request. You will see a screen confirmation indicating that the request has been sent.
We look forward to serving you through our Interlibrary Loan Department. Please call 630-BOOK with any questions.