Interlibrary Loan (ILL) offers Library customers the opportunity to request and receive books that are not owned by Jacksonville Public Library (JPL). Through ILL, you have access to the circulating book collections of all the library systems in Florida, as well as universities and public library systems throughout the United States.
ILL is available to valid JPL card holders. ILL is not available to JPL e-Card, Educator or Student card holders. If you don't have a PIN or have forgotten it, library staff can provide a new PIN either in person or by calling 630-2665. You can also request your PIN online using the form found at Replace a Lost or Forgotten PIN. You'll use the same PIN to access your library card account, Overdrive, and the Florida Navigator.Requests for books can be placed electronically from home or from any JPL branch using the Florida Navigator. Please ask the library staff for the Florida Navigator brochure or use the link on this page to the Navigator Information Sheet. You can also place your request by telephone. We can only accept 3 requests by telephone at one time.
You may have a total of ten (10) requests per month.
Requested material will be delivered to the Main Library or the branch library of your choice. You will be contacted when the material is available for pickup. If you have questions about your ILL request once it has been placed, please call the Interlibrary Loan Department (630-2986).
Any item received via ILL service is subject to the same fees/fines placed on similar items owned by JPL. In addition, libraries which loan material to JPL may place additional fines/fees on loaned items.
Customers wanting photocopies or loans from fee-charging libraries must submit a check or money order made payable to the lending library before the loan request can be submitted. If the item is not filled by the lending library, the check or money order will be returned to the customer.
Materials Which May Not Be Requested Through ILL
- Items currently owned by Jacksonville Public Library
- Newly published materials (materials less than one year old). Please instead submit a Suggest a Purchase submission.
- Audio-visual material (Mixed media, CDs, DVDs, Videos, Audio-Cassettes, Audio Books on CD, 16mm Films, Microfilm etc.)
- Books copyrighted or dated prior to 1920
- Entire issues of periodicals
- Rare books or non-book materials
- E-books or e-documents/articles
Most materials acquired through ILL may be circulated. Occasionally the materials you request may be designated by the lending library as restricted. This means that this material must be used in the library and cannot be checked out. You can however, use the material in the Jacksonville Public Library location of your choice. When you receive the restricted materials, you will be asked to relinquish some form of identification. This identification will be held until you return the material to the desk.
You may order photocopies of certain materials not available through ILL, such as magazine articles and reference materials. Photocopying charges may be incurred. If there is a charge for the photocopy, it must be paid before the request can be submitted. Please contact the Interlibrary Loan Department for questions concerning photocopy requests. Please click on the ILL Copy Request button to place your copy request.
Renewal of Materials
The renewal of ILL material is dependent upon the restrictions set by the lending library. If you desire a renewal, you must contact the Interlibrary Loan Department (904-630-2986) at least three working days before the material is due. Fines will be incurred for overdue materials. Overdue materials can not be renewed.
ILL material can be returned to any library location. Please do not put Interlibrary Loan books in the book drop. To ensure that you receive credit for returning the book, do not remove the lending label on the book.
Using Florida Navigator
Jacksonville Public Library uses the Florida Navigator to request loans from Florida libraries and other libraries throughout the United States. To use Navigator you must have a valid Jacksonville Public Library card number and a Personal Identification Number (PIN).
If your library account is blocked or barred due to unpaid fines or overdues, you will not have access to Navigator to request items or track your requests.
- Search for the item you wish to borrow using search box. The Florida Navigator shows the holdings of libraries throughout the Florida and the US. The item you wish to borrow must be listed in the Navigator.
- When you locate the item you want to request, click on the title of the item.
- Click on the Request via ILL button.
- Select Jacksonville Public Library From the list of libraries in the drop down box.
- If the log on screen appears, log-in by typing in your Jacksonville Public Library card number and PIN in the spaces provided.
- Fill in additional information in the spaces provided. Providing a current e-mail address allows us to contact you faster. Using the drop down list provided, select the library you want to use as your Interlibrary Loan delivery location. Staff at your pick-up location will contact you when the material is available for pickup. If the item can be checked out and is not picked up within 7 days, it will be returned to the lending library.
- In the space titled “More Information About my request”, submit any additional information you think will help us locate the item and the maximum amount you are willing to pay for your loan or photocopy if there isn’t a free ILL lender available.
- Submit the request. You will see a screen confirmation indicating that the request has been sent.
The My Requests link is featured on the Florida Navigator main page- located under the Florida Navigator Libraries drop down box. This link allows you to view the status of your current book requests. Log-in to My Requests by selecting Jacksonville Public Library from the drop down list , then log in using your Jacksonville Public Library card number and PIN in the spaces provided.