The following are the types of Library cards available:
Adult Resident Card
Any person age eighteen (18) or over, whom resides in Duval County with acceptable proof of residency, may obtain a free resident card. Nothing precludes a resident of a non-traditional residential facility, such as a nursing home, halfway house or residential hotel, from obtaining a free card if he or she is able to meet this requirement.
Juvenile Resident Card
Any person age seventeen (17) and under may obtain a library card if their parent or legal guardian meets the requirements for a resident card and has ID for the child. A parent or guardian must sign the registration form. As part of the registration process the parent or guardian may opt for a restricted card that limits DVD checkout to children’s titles only.
In addition to the acceptable proof of residency listed above, acceptable ID for the child includes one of the following:
- Social Security Card for Child (The SS# is not recorded)
- School ID
- School Report Card
- Health Insurance Card
This limited use card is restricted to online resources and is available only to Duval County residents. Registration for an eCard is issued through the Library’s website. An eCard may be converted to a full services resident library card at any library location with acceptable proof of residency.
This special card is offered exclusively to educators in Duval County public, charter, and private schools, as well as licensed childcare centers. It allows holders to supplement their curriculum to assist in ensuring educational success for students.
- Complete an Educator Card application
- Present proof of employment by a Duval County educational facility, such as a letter from the principal, school system administrator, current school employee ID, pay stub or other official documentation.
- Present proof of home address.
The Educator Card provides the following:
- Place holds on up to 50 items
- Place multiple holds on a single book title by contacting any library location
- No overdue fines
- The Educator cardholder is responsible for any lost or damaged fees
|Books, Audio Books, CDs
*Note: In the case of eligibility for Duval County Homeschool Teachers, Florida State Statute 1002.41 a Homeschool Verification Letter on Duval County Public School Letterhead must be provided as the official documentation for the Educator Card. The Duval County Homeschool Teacher can request a Homeschool Verification Letter from:
Home Education Office Duval County Public Schools 1701 Prudential Drive Jacksonville, Florida 32207 (904) 390-2477
All Duval County Public Schools (DCPS) students (Kindergarten through 12th Grade) will receive a student card account associated with their student ID through a partnership between JPL and DCPS. No physical card is issued with this type of account. The Student Card provides the following:
- Checkout limit of 3 books (includes print and audio)
- Access to all electronic and digital collections through the library's website
- May have a juvenile resident card in addition to the student card account
- No application and no parent/guardian signature required
- No fines or fees are assessed
- Account is activated for one school year and reactivated at the start of each school year for eligible students
The City of Jacksonville Municipal Code Sec. 662.105 authorizes the Library Board of Trustees to charge a user fee to persons who are not residents or property owners in Duval County. Any person residing outside of Duval County can purchase a three-month, a six-month or a one-year nonresident card. Acceptable proof of address is required. See Appendix A for current fees.
Acceptable proof of address is one of the following items imprinted with name and current street address:
- Driver’s license
- State identification
- Current vehicle registration
- Senior citizen ID card
- Utilities bill or deposit receipt dated within the last 30 days
- Current rental or lease agreement
- A combination from the following list of one Name ID and one Address ID:
|Social Security Card
||Phone book listing
||City Directory listing
||Mail postmarked within the last 30 days
Annual nonresident fees will be canceled for the following:
City of Jacksonville employees: The only acceptable proof will be a valid employee photo ID. This policy shall apply to all Jacksonville municipal or independent agency employees. Additional documentation with permanent home address is also required.
College or university student: The only acceptable proof will be current registration documentation at a college or university located in Duval County. Additional documentation with permanent home address is also required.
Military personnel: Military personnel of any status and their immediate family living anywhere in Florida are eligible. Military ID will be required. Military personnel in civilian housing must present proof of residential address. With Military ID, an APO or FPO mailing address for personnel stationed on board ship or base is acceptable.
This card is offered exclusively to retired library staff (20+ years), the Board of Library Trustees, the current Mayor, the current City Council and the current Duval Delegation. Trustees and retired library staff are issued lifetime Gold cards; all others are issued for the term of office. Gold card holders’ accounts must be in good standing to access these services.
The gold card provides the following:
- Extended loan periods on print and audio materials
- No overdue fines assessed
Any current full or part time staff member of the Library may obtain a staff card. Staff cards must be in good standing to access these services.
The staff card provides the following:
- Extended loan periods on print and audio materials
- No overdue fines assessed on print and audio materials
Active volunteers may obtain a volunteer card. Volunteer cards are issued upon completion of 50 hours of documented library volunteer service, expire annually and receive extended loan periods on print and audio materials. The card must be in good standing to access library services.