This limited use card is restricted to online resources and is available only to Duval County residents.
Registration for an eCard is issued through the Library’s website. Simply complete and submit the form (Library eCard Registration) and a confirming email with your Library eCard account number will be delivered to the email address you supply (within 24-48 hours with exceptions for library closings). Immediately upon receipt of the library eCard account number, you will have access to most electronic resources on our website from your home, including magazine and newspaper databases, encyclopedias, our Special Collections, and downloadable audio and eBooks!
An eCard may be converted to a full services resident library card at any library location with acceptable proof of residency. If you wish to check out or place holds on library materials, you will need to visit a library location where a physical card will be issued to you upon verification of current address. Additional verification is required for property ownership, City of Jacksonville employment, or student status.
Standard Library Card
Visit your nearest library location, bring along a valid form of ID, and fill out our standard library card form to obtain a library card. All library card applicants must provide ID which includes your current street address. Examples of acceptable ID are driver's license, vehicle registration, or utilities bill. (See Qualify for a Library Card)
Juvenile Resident Card
Any person age seventeen (17) and under may obtain a library card if their parent or legal guardian meets the requirements for a resident card and has ID for the child. A parent or guardian must sign the registration form. As part of the registration process the parent or guardian may opt for a restricted card that limits DVD checkout to children’s titles only.
In addition to the acceptable proof of residency listed at Qualify for a Library Card, acceptable ID for the child includes one of the following:
- Social Security Card for Child (The SS# is not recorded.)
- School ID
- School Report Card
- Health Insurance Card
All Duval County Public Schools (DCPS) students (Kindergarten through 12th Grade) will receive a student card account associated with their student ID through a partnership between JPL and DCPS. No physical card is issued with this type of account. The Student Card provides the following:
- Checkout limit of 3 books (includes print and audio)
- Access to all electronic and digital collections through the library's website
- May have a juvenile resident card in addition to the student card account
- No application and no parent/guardian signature required
- No fines or fees are assessed
- Account is activated for one school year and reactivated at the start of each school year for eligible students
Use of Library computers.
- Students may have a Juvenile Resident Card, in addition to the Student Card, following the standard application process.
- No application and no parent/guardian signature required on the Student Card.
- No fines or fees are assessed on the Student Card.
Account is activated for one year at a time and reactivated at the start of each school year for eligible students.
This special card is offered exclusively to educators in Duval County public, charter, and private schools, as well as licensed childcare centers. It allows holders to supplement their curriculum to assist in ensuring educational success for students.
- Visit your nearest library location with the required documentation.
- Present proof of employment by a Duval County educational facility, such as a letter from the principal, school system administrator, current school employee ID, pay stub or other official documentation.
- Present proof of home address.
The Educator Card provides the following:
- Check out up to 100 items
- Borrow the Books, Audio Books, Compact Discs for six (6) weeks
- Borrow DVDs - up to 20 for two (2) weeks
- Renew items up to two (2) times
- Place holds on up to 50 items
- Place multiple holds on a single book title by contacting any library location
- No overdue fines
- The Educator cardholder is responsible for any lost or damaged fees
- Renewed annually. The card is valid from Aug. 1 - July 31. These cards expire on July 31.
*Note: In the case of eligibility for Duval County Homeschool Teachers, Florida State Statute 1002.41 a Homeschool Verification Letter on Duval County Public School Letterhead must be provided as the official documentation for the Educator Card. The Duval County Homeschool Teacher can request a Homeschool Verification Letter from:
Home Education Office Duval County Public Schools 1701 Prudential Drive Jacksonville, Florida 32207 (904) 390-2477