The JPL Maker Con is an all age interactive event celebrating maker culture and all things awesome! This STEAM-centered event will focus on comic books, sci-fi, fantasy, gaming, cosplay, and makers and creators of all types.
Come dressed in cosplay and enjoy several events throughout the day:
• Cosplay contest hosted by Bold City Cosplay. Guidelines below.
• Cosplay Mash-Ups Panel
• The Art of the Animatronic presented by Sally Corporation
• How to Build a Gene Gun presentation by Scihouse
• Tools, Processes, and Considerations for Making and Designing presentation by Make Me Designs
• Hands-on Lego Robotics practice with Renaissance Jax Lego Robotics League
• Marketplace – purchase creations from local makers, authors and artists
• Performance by the Don’t Miss a Beat All-Stars
• Zine workshop
• Screenings of short films by local filmmakers
• Tabletop gaming
Cosplay Contest Information
• Littles (ages 0 - 5)
• Kids (ages 6 - 11)
• Teens (ages 12 - 17)
• Adults (ages 18+)
• Individual categories are limited to 20 contestants per category.
• Each contestant may only compete in one category.
• Costumes must be family friendly.
• No real weapons are permitted at the event. All weapons and props must conform to local laws concerning carrying a weapon. If there is a question of doubt, don’t bring it.
• No live animals will be allowed on stage, the service animals if required by contestant.
• No electrical power connections will be provided. If your costume requires power, it must be part of your costume design.
• The contest director reserves the right to exclude any costume from the show that he/she deems inappropriate.
• Entry forms will be available on-site and must be completed by 1:30 p.m. on the day of the event.
Contestants will be judged on a point scale based on the following 3 criteria:
• Craftsmanship – How the contestant made the costume, use of materials and creativity
• Likeness/Detail – How close the contestant resembles the character they are Cosplaying and the level of detail on the costume
• Presentation – How the entrant presents the costume to the judges in prejudging and how the entrant showcases their costume on stage during the contest
ON-SITE CONTEST LOGISTICS:
• Contestants are asked to arrive outside of the auditorium by 1:30 pm for pre-judging.
• At this time, the organizer will introduce the emcee and judges, and give general instructions.
• Contestants will be introduced on stage by the emcee, who will announce their name and character.
• Contestants will have a maximum of one minute on stage.
• Once the last contestant has left the stage, the judges will deliberate and announce the winners. Judges choices are final. Please be respectful of their decisions.