KABOOOOOOOM! You're now an honorary children's librarian! Time for you to employ Supercharged Stories: fully-packed programs for kids age 5 - 12 that jump off from a great book into all kinds of fun and engrossing activities and challenges.
Want to be the first to know when we put more of these storytime activities out? Click here to subscribe.
Have a blast!
A Camping Spree with Mr. Magee
Mr. Magee and his trusty dog, Dee, are enjoying a peaceful camping trip when they suddenly find themselves plunging down a mountain and teetering on the edge of a huge waterfall!
How will they find their way out of this slippery situation?
Chris Van Dusen, the creator of Down to the Sea with Mr. Magee, has filled this new adventure with charming illustrations and a playful, rhyming text. A fun read-aloud for children (and adults!) on camp-outs or snuggling at home!
Read online on Hoopla Digital, free with your library card.
Ask your child questions about the book as you are reading.
- Where did Mr. Magee and his little dog go?
- What did the bear want?
- What trouble did the bear cause?
- If you found yourself on the top of a 50-foot waterfall, what would you do? How would you solve your problem?
- How did Mr. Magee and his dog get rescued?
SOLVE A PUZZLE
Rescue Mr. Magee and Dee
If the Bear didn’t mistake the trailer hitch for a marshmallow, Mr. Magee and his dog would still be on top of the waterfall. How would you have solved this problem? Use materials from your house to design and create an object that would get Mr. Magee and his dog out of this problem.
No campfire? No problem! Follow this s'mores recipe from Paula Deen:
- 6 whole graham crackers
- 1 bag mini marshmallows
- 3 (1.55 ounces) Hershey's Milk Chocolate Bars, split into two
- Split graham cracker into 2 halves.
- On top of graham cracker squares place mini-marshmallows.
- Place under broiler for a few seconds until toasty.
- Remove and place 1/2 of a Hershey bar on top of marshmallow. The heat from the marshmallow will melt the chocolate bar.
- Place other 1/2 of graham cracker on top. Press lightly to flatten marshmallows.
These may be made ahead and wrapped in plastic wrap until ready to heat and eat.
Camping Trip Story
Mr. Magee and his dog had a wild camping trip! Have you ever been camping or would like to go camping? Write a story about a camping trip you took or one you would like to take.
Now, it your turn to camp out. Set up a tent or fort in a cozy space in your house or backyard. Bring a variety of toys or books to keep you busy. Oh, and don’t forget the s’mores!
More Mr. Magee stories and other camping stories: