Are you ready to get your hands [safely] dirty?
Honorary children's librarians (that's YOU!): get ready for Storytime DIY. This do-it-yourself afternoon is a great way to make a book come to life with hands-on crafts, cooking, science and more.
Made for kids age 5 – 12, but good for kids of all ages and kids at heart.
Storytime at Home: Game Logic
What was the last game you played? Video game, board game, world building game? In Game Logic: Level Up and Create Your Own Games with Science Activities for Kids, take on the world of games by figuring out what makes them challenging, fun, and addictive!
This book is part of Hoopla's BONUS BORROWS COLLECTION! For a limited time, this is one of more than 1,000 digital items you can borrow without using any of your monthly Hoopla borrows. There are e-books, streaming audiobooks, movies and more. Click here to browse them all!
Talk through these questions while reading the book:
- What is your favorite game?
- Why do you like it so much?
- Is that your favorite game to play with other people?
- If you could only choose 1 game to play for the rest of your life, what would it be?
- Was it the same as your favorite game?
Make your own game!
It can be as simple or complicated as you want it to be!
In Game Logic, the author said that the opposite sides of a die always added up to 7 and we had to try it out! Were they right?
Think you made a hit game? Share it with us! Send us an email describing your game and its rules at firstname.lastname@example.org and we might share it with our fans!
You enter into a game world of your own choosing. You are the main character. Describe this character and the first thing you do.
Video Game Unplugged
Just like in a video game, you will have a character and a controller. The character can only execute the commands given to them!
- As a group, determine the 5 commands you will use (eg: forward, backward, step left, step right etc.).
- The controller determines a destination.
- The controller gives the character instructions, based on the predetermined commands.
- Count how many commands it takes to reach the destination.
- Swap and try to move to the destination in the fewest moves.
If you have more people, divide into pairs and see which of the characters can make it to the destination the quickest!
Did you have fun? Try some of these other gaming books, available now on Hoopla: