Kanopy—think of it as Netflix on steroids. And now it’s absolutely free with your library card! The popular on-demand streaming service gives you access to 30,000 classic and modern movies and documentaries, as well as other digital offerings. Stream movies and more anytime, anywhere—on your TV, mobile phone, computer or online. Download the Kanopy app for iOS, Android, Apple TV or Chromecast.
There’s something for everyone in Kanopy:
- Kanopy for Kids – Vast selection of curated movies, TV series, including Tales from History, Learning Languages, Story Time Classic Tales and more! Includes parental controls. Unlimited play.
- The Great Courses – A series of college-level courses. Includes more than 5,700 videos on hundreds of subjects, including Economics, Fine Arts (learn how to draw), History, Religion, Music (learn how to play piano) and more.
- Media Education Foundation – Films that inspire critical reflection on the social, political and cultural impact of American mass media.
- The Criterion Collection – Includes 50 films from the prestigious Janus Collection.
- Great selection of foreign language, indie and contemporary films, hard-to-find-titles, award-winning documentaries, classic cinema, and more!
To name just a few examples from the Kanopy collection, you can find contemporary and classic films such as Oscar-winner Moonlight, Golden Globe winner Lady Bird and 1974 Oscar-winner Chinatown. Choose from thousands of documentaries, including Oscar-nominated Of Fathers and Sons, I Am Not Your Negro, Abacus: Small Enough to Jail and Faces Places; Sundance winners Memento, Last Men in Aleppo and Seven Samurai; and The Lord of the Flies and Summertime from the Janus Films Criterion Collection.
To start using Kanopy, you will use your Jacksonville Public Library card number and PIN, create an account, and begin browsing. Patrons will be allowed six play credits—or six videos—a month. Kanopy Kids has unlimited play. Videos may be kept for up to 72 hours and replayed as many times during that period as you wish.
It’s easy to find what you want in Kanopy—browse by subject, title, filmmaker and more in categories for movies, videos and documentaries. You can find frequently asked questions and support on the Jacksonville Public Library Kanopy website. Scroll to the bottom of the page to find support for technical help, information about creating an account, using the website, and using mobile and TV apps.
To sign up for a library card, visit any Jacksonville Public Library location. You may also apply for an e-library card, which allows access to all digital collections, including Kanopy. What are you waiting for?